fbpx

Survey: Boise is growing at right pace; option tax faces mixed popularity

News analysis by Don Day
BoiseDev.com

 Rooftops are going up by the dozen - like these in Boise's Barber Valley.  
Rooftops are going up by the dozen – like these in Boise’s Barber Valley.  

A new survey by the Boise State School of Public Service shows a slight majority of Treasure Valley residents think the area is growing at the right pace.

In the survey, 50.3% of respondents say growth is “about right,” with 2.8% saying growth is actually “too slow” – meaning a total of 53.1% of those surveyed are pro-growth.  A strong minority, however, thinks the area is growing too fast – 44.5%.

One-thousand residents in three counties – Ada, Canyon & Owyhee – were surveyed.

Would you say that the Treasure Valley is growing too fast, too slow or about right?

Courtesy Boise State University School of Public Service

In Ada County, residents are somewhat happier with the growth than in the 2C.  Of the Ada crowd, 52.4% said growth was about right. In Canyon County, there’s an exact deadlock between the about right group and too fast group – 46.5%.  A slightly higher number of Canyon Co. residents think the growth is too slow – 3.7% vs. 2.4% in Ada Co.

Would you say that the Treasure Valley is growing too fast, too slow or about right?

Courtesy Boise State University School of Public Service

When you slice the data by age – you see a trend toward younger folks being happier with how the area is growing, with older folks not being as happy with growth.

Would you say that the Treasure Valley is growing too fast, too slow or about right?

Courtesy Boise State University School of Public Service

Earlier this month, I took a look at Boise Mayor Dave Bieter’s plan to push a local option tax for residents across Idaho and specifically in Boise. A local option tax has to cross too hurdles before it starts bringing revenue into city coffers.  First, the Idaho legislature and governor must approve a change to Idaho law (or through a statewide ballot initiative). Then, if that bar can be crossed, voters in a city must vote to approve the tax.

While the survey only polled three counties, there is strong support to give voters the option to hike their own taxes – with 62% saying they’d be in favor of giving cities the options to rise taxes. Important to remember this is not a statewide poll.

Overall, 47.8% of residents are opposed to a local option tax in their town, with 41.2% saying they’d go for it.  In Boise specifically, 48.1% of those polled said they would vote yes – with 41.7% saying no.  However, when you look at the overall data by age – the older the respondent, the less likely they are to be in favor of a local option tax in their town – with only residents aged 18-29 being cool with a tax hike. And in Idaho, older residents vote in much higher numbers.

If your town or city were to propose a local option tax, would you favor or oppose that plan?

Courtesy Boise State University School of Public Service

There’s a significant amount of additional data – read the whole survey here.

You power BoiseDev.

We need your help – a membership makes these stories possible (and gets you a great daily newsletter). Sign up today

Don Dayhttp://linkedin.com/in/donday
Don has been covering news in Boise for 20 years. He is a National Edward R. Murrow Award winner and a Stanford University John S. Knight Fellow.

‘One of the largest deals ever:’ New firm buys big portfolio of valley buildings and land

BoiseDev FIRST members got this story before the general public. Sign up today to get our scoops in your inbox.

New apartment, retail project set near Main St. in Downtown Boise

A new residential and retail building could soon sprout up just a half block off of Main St. in Downtown Boise.

Interior design business to breathe new life into former gas station

A 1960s-era gas station along State St. in Boise is about to get a new life. Boise interior design firm Design...

Council president McLean to challenge Bieter for mayor’s seat

Boise City Council President Lauren McLean just filed with the Boise City Clerk to run for mayor.

Popular hot springs closed when an Idaho tribe bought it. What’s next?

This spring, change rolled into the popular Zim's Hot Springs near New Meadows. The family that owned it for more than three...

Boise’s Carnegie Library gets new owner, purpose

The Carnegie Library on Washington St. is one of Boise's oldest - and grandest - building. Now, after an abandoned plan...