The Idaho Statesman’s real estate history is nearly as long as the story of Boise itself, and soon, the paper could be on the move again.
The media company’s current facility on Curtis Rd. near I-184 is on the market – and if a buyer can be found, it will relocate, president and publisher Debra Leithauser confirms to BoiseDev.com. Leithauser said a location hasn’t been settled on, but she hopes to move the paper to “newer” digs. A sign outside the facility advertising the sale stresses the paper will be relocating “in Boise.”
Statesman parent company McClatchy owns two parcels that total six acres, plus the 100,000 square foot building – which is valued by the Ada County Assessor at just more than $6 million. The building is publicly listed at $6.9 million and has been on the market since May.
Previous owner Gannett expanded the building in 2004 to add a second floor regional classified service center, just before the classified advertising market moved largely online in the era of Craigslist.
In 2008, the Statesman mothballed its press operation and began contracting with the Idaho Press Tribune in Nampa to produce the printed product. With the closing of the press and a move to digital, the Statesman only utilizes a fraction of the large building.
If the move comes to fruition, it will be the seventh home since the Idaho Statesman’s 1864 founding. The Statesman first inhabited a log cabin on Main St. between 6th and 7th Streets (now Capitol Blvd.) downtown – the location of modern day Boise City Hall. It then moved to 7th & Idaho – and to a third spot back on the north side of 6th & Main.
In 1909, the paper began a decades-long run in a building on the south side of Main at 6th in the building that now houses Reef and Brickyard. The paper’s “STATESMAN” imprint is still seen in tile at the entrance to Brickyard.
In 1952, the media company moved to 300 N. 6th Street near the Statehouse – another building that still stands and is home to a law firm and the Idaho Department of Lands.
Finally, the paper moved to the 1200 N. Curtis Rd. location in 1972.