National chain closure tracker - SW Idaho
Here's the rundown of national chains with closures announced or pending that have stores in Boise and SW Idaho.
Updated April 11, 2017
Abercrombie & Fitch - UNKNOWN
- What's happening: Closing 100 stores.
- SW Idaho stores: One in Boise Towne Square
- Local impact: Locations not yet announced
Family Christian Stores - CLOSING
- What's happening: Closing all locations
- SW Idaho stores: One at Fairview & Milwaukee in Boise
- Local impact: Local store will close
Game Stop - UNKNOWN
- What's happening: Closing as many as 150 stores
- SW Idaho stores: Seven locations including Boise Towne Square
- Local impact: TBA
Gordman's - SOME CLOSING
- What's happening: Closing about half of stores
- SW Idaho stores: Village at Meridian, Boise ParkCenter, Treasure Valley Marketplace Nampa
- Local impact: The SE Boise store is closing and is liquidating merchandise. The fate of other stores is unclear.
JCPenney - NO LOCAL IMPACT
- What's happening: Closing 138 stores
- SW Idaho stores: Boise Towne Square, Nampa Gateway, Twin Falls, Burley
- Local impact: No SW Idaho stores will close. However, the Burley store will close. Also, store in LaGrande, OR will shutter. The retailer says more stores could be announced in the future.
Noodles & Co. - UNKNOWN
- What's happening: Closing 55 stores - about 10%, focused on "newer" markets
- SW Idaho stores: Boise Broadway, Boise Milwaukee, Village at Meridian, Twin Falls
- Local impact: Stores are closing in a sporadic manner. No full announcement yet.
Payless Shoe Source - NO LOCAL CLOSINGS
What's happening: Closing at least 500 stores, filing for bankruptcy
- SW Idaho stores: Three in Boise, two in Meridian, two in Nampa, Payette
- Local impact: All Idaho stores will remain open.
Radio Shack - SOME CLOSING
- What's happening: Closing 552 stores nationwide, the latest in waves of closures in recent years
- SW Idaho stores: Two in Boise on Broadway and State, Caldwell, Twin Falls
- Local impact: Closing Broadway Ave. store in Boise, Cleveland Blvd. store in Caldwell, Magic Valley Mall store in Twin Falls - as well as a location in Coeur d'Alene. Closures will leave just the Boise State St. store in operation.
Sears/Kmart - NO CLOSING
- What's happening: Closing 78 Kmart and 30 Sears stores
- SW Idaho stores: Sears - Boise Towne Square, Magic Valley Mall. Kmart - Nampa. (Sears Hometown store in Nampa and Sears Outlet in Boise are not impacted)
- Local impact: No Idaho stores closing in this round.
STAPLES - UNKNOWN
Rite Aid/Walgreens - UNKNOWN
- What's happening: Merging, pending FTC approval
- SW Idaho stores: Too numerous to list, many adjacent
- Local impact: The FTC has indicated the merged retailer will have to divest stores. A small regional chain known as Fred's (not to be confused with Fred Meyer) is likely to pick up the stores the two chains shed - as many as 865.