The historic Cornerstone building in Ketchum at the corner of Main St. and 2nd St. will soon have new life.
The Cornerstone sprung up in 1884 in Ketchum, and started life as the Greenhow and Rumsey store. It’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and over the years housed CC Anderson’s department store, Golden Rule Store, Cornerstone restaurant, Iconoclast Books and more.
Now, the Sun Valley Culinary Institute will give the historic building new purpose. Remodeling work is underway to expand the kitchen and reconfigure it for teaching. Glass walls will allow folks to see into the kitchen space.
The bar space will remain as will a portion of the restaurant for demonstration and events.
A bakery will go into the basement, while a new mezzanine will provide an event loft and social lounge space.
SVCI touts itself as “the first higher education facility in the North Valley,” and partners with the Blaine County School District and College of Southern Idaho. Organizers hope the institute will help attract in-demand hospitality talent to the area and boost tourism.
The institute hopes to start its first one-year program this month.