For months, they’ve sat eerily empty on spare land in Boise. Up on blocks, sitting alone in fields. A few moved to another empty lot, and two more met the wrecking crew.
But one of the homes removed by St. Luke’s Health System to make way for the large-scale expansion of its Boise Regional Medical Center campus – has a new place to live.
The Idaho State Historical Society stored the house on land it owned. Now, it will boomerang back to the East End – landing at 1416 E. Bannock St.
It’s a unique solution. The current home on Bannock St. will actually remain. At 539 square feet, the home sits far back from the curb toward the back of the property. According to an application with the City of Boise, that home, dating to 1950, will remain. Owners will use it as an accessory dwelling unit.
In the front of the lot, the ‘St. Luke’s’ house that used to sit at 103 W. State will move in. The home, which formerly housed the St. Luke’s Women’s Life, will get a new full basement. The inside and outside of the house will get upgrades, including new paint and repaired siding. A formerly closed-in front porch will be restored along Bannock St.
The old home dates to the 1920s.
Kerry Calverley’s Reclaimed Structures heads up this project, as it has with all of the displaced homes on the St. Luke’s campus.
“Of all the houses that we moved off the St. Luke’s Health System campus, this one in particular had the most interior charm still in existence,” Calverley wrote in an application letter. “It has the beautiful walnut built-in drawers, sideboard, cabinetry, lighting and beautiful French Doors.”
She said the home has original hardwood floors that sat under carpet for the last 40 years.
The City of Boise’s Historic Preservation Commission approved the move earlier this fall.
Love our stories? Get them delivered straight to your inbox each afternoon. Plus, support BoiseDev's independent journalism.