Dozens of local business leaders signed on to a letter to Boise and Idaho’s political leaders decrying recent vandalism at the Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial.
An unidentified person or group placed nine stickers on the memorial with a swastika and the words “we are everywhere” sometime between late December 7th and early December 8th. The stickers were promptly removed, and community members quickly showed up to place flowers, signs saying “love is everywhere” and other materials near the statue of Frank at the center of the memorial.
“This kind of attack has no place in our city and the message behind it has no place in our community. We are saddened, angered, and disgusted by the desecration, defamation, and vandalism of the memorial,” the letter said.
Letter to political leaders
A physical copy of the letter went to Idaho Gov. Brad Little, Boise Mayor Lauren McLean, Idaho Attorney General Lawrence Wasden, Idaho House Minority Leader Ilana Rubel, Boise Police Chief Ryan Lee, and Idaho Supreme Court Justice Gregory Moeller.
The letter features 65 signatories from a large swath of local businesses. Organizers said the businesses represented employ about 1,000 Idahoans and roughly $250 million in annual revenue.
Police did not name a suspect and so far have not announced any arrests in the case. Business leaders called on state and city leadership to bring the person or people to justice, and to “make certain these incidents stop once and for all.”
As BoiseDev reported last week, a leader with Micron Technology said the incident at the Frank Memorial as well as an apparently unrelated incident at the home of an unelected leader the night before “impact our ability to recruit and retain talent and threaten our growth, prosperity and longevity in Idaho.”
BoiseDev asked Little about Micron’s comments, and he said of the memorial vandalism, “the people of Idaho will react in an equal and opposite reaction about how absolutely abhorrent that action was.”
The full letter and signatories:
We, the signatories of this letter and the thousands of employees and stakeholders we represent, strongly condemn the recent hateful act of antisemitism that took place at Boise’s Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial sometime between the evening of Monday, December 7th and the morning of Tuesday, December 8th.
As you may or not know, this is not the first time the memorial was desecrated. It was defamed with racist and antismeitc hate speech in May 2017 on multiple occasions—the first time since its dedication in 2002.
This kind of attack has no place in our city and the message behind it has no place in our community. We are saddened, angered, and disgusted by the desecration, defamation, and vandalism of the Memorial, which is the only human rights memorial in Idaho and stands to “memorialize the universality of the struggle against injustice and oppression.” This hate
vandalism is therefore not just an attack on our Jewish neighbors but on all of us.
We, as the business leaders in the Treasure Valley and throughout Idaho, defiantly stand united with Jewish neighbors against any and all antisemitic attacks and reiterate that they have no place here. We will not tolerate this activity in our community and will do everything in our power to ensure it never happens again.
We call on law enforcement, who have—as always—been exemplary, and government officials to not just bring the perpetrators to justice on hate crimes but also make certain these incidents stop once and for all. Our businesses and our community will always remain a welcoming place for people of all faiths, ethnicities, and backgrounds. It is the diversity of our community that makes it so special and strong.
- Alison Johnson, Partner, Holland & Hart
- Amanda Pasek, PA-C, Emergency Medicine Idaho
- Blake Hansen, Founder and CEO, Alturas
- Bob Dean, Gemstone Capital LLC
- Bob Van Allen, President, Coldwell Banker Tomlinson Group
- Brett Myron, President, PETRA, Inc.
- Brian Smith, CEO, DEANCO Management Group, Inc.
- Casey Dillabaugh, President, Dillabaugh’s Flooring America
- Chris Taylor, CEO, Fisher’s Technology
- Colin Seeley, Co-Founder, Iron Mule, Inc.
- Darrin Jaszkowiak, Designated Broker / Owner RE/MAX Advisors
- David Hanks, President, High Country Fusion Co., Inc.
- Dirk R. Myers, VP Sales & Marketing, Trinity Trailer Mfg
- Dom Ramirez, Co-Founder and CTO, Textual.com
- Ephraim Greenwall, President & Owner, Talcott Holdings, Inc.
- Gabe Blanchet, Co-Founder and Former CEO, Grow
- George Seybold, CEO, Talloo
- James Kling, Owner, Boise Body Basics
- Jason Hausske, Founder and CEO, Cauze
- Jason Vickrey, President, TitleOne
- Jay Larsen, President, Idaho Technology Council
- Jeff Feeler, CEO and President, US Ecology, Inc.
- Jeff Jackson, CEO, Jackson Jet Center
- Jeff Reynolds, President, Reynolds+Myers
- Jeff Russell, CEO, Jitasa
- Jerry Dunn
- Jessica Rolph, Co-Founder and CEO, Lovevery
- Jim Bradbury, General Manager, Blackbox VR
- Jodi Whittaker, CPA
- John Chalfant, Partner, Ridgeline Partners LLC
- John Fery, Operating Partner, Bluebird Express Car Wash
- Jonathon Fishman, COO, Leanlaw
- Kevin O’Neil, Co-Founder and Former CEO, Telmate LLC
- Kris Miller, President, Empire Title
- Marshall Simmonds, Founder, Define Media Group
- Mark Currie, General Manager, Elevation Foods
- Matt Bishop, Co-Founder, Iron Mule, Inc.
- Matt Price, Founder, Price and Partner
- Matt Rissell, Co-Founder and Former CEO, TSheets
- Michael Fornander, CEO and Owner, Neurilink
- Michael Sadler, Principal, MWS Advisory
- Mikayala Latta, Owner, MUUV Yoga
- Moshit Mizrachi-Gabbitas, Owner, Janjou Pâtisserie
- Nathen Fox, CEO, Zen Fox Strategies
- Nick Crabbs, Co-Chair, Boise Startup Week; Partner, Vynyl
- Nikola Prvulj, CEO, Executive Cleaning
- Pat Sewall, Founder and Former CEO, CradlePoint
- Paul Judge, Managing Director, Idaho Capital Ventures
- Philip Alfano, Field CTO, Apptio
- Rebecca Arnold, ACHD Commissioner
- Rob Johnson, Founder and CEO, Born Simple LLC
- Rob Swikert, President, Mirage Trailers
- Rod Morris, Co-Founder and President, Lovevery
- Sarah Woodley, CEO, BPA Health
- Scott Peterson, Director, Silverdraft Supercomputing, LLC
- Sean Brown, COO, iCapture
- Steve Smylie, Retired Legislator, Educator, School Trustee
- Thomas Coleman, Former CEO, Coleman Homes
- Thomas Mahoney, Chairman of the Board, Riverstone International School Tiam Rastegar, Executive Director, Trailhead; Co-Chair, Boise Startup Week
- Ward Parkinson, Founder and Former CEO, Micron
- Wyatt Johnson, Co-Founder, Angstman Johnson