Fox Sports Radio returned to the Treasure Valley airwaves today, with a new station on 99.9. FM. Nampa-based Iliad Media brought the station online in recent weeks in testing mode. Yesterday, it temporarily launched an all-Christmas music format it called 99.9 The Elf. The Christmas music gave way to a loop of Thriller by Michael Jackson – a longtime calling card of Iliad CEO Darrell Calton when one of his stations changes format.
Then, at 10am, sports talk came to the frequency.
“We are thrilled to bring Fox Sports radio back to Boise,” Iliad Media Operations Manager James Garner said. “Our listeners will have access to the best names in sports talk, and
24/7 access to the best sports programming in the industry.”
It’s the second attempt at sports radio for Iliad in the market – and a return to Boise for Fox Sports Radio. Iliad previously programmed 99.1 ESPN Radio, which later changed to a rock format. Fox Sports Radio used to be featured on Townsquare Media’s KFXD-AM until that station switched to hip hop last fall.
Fox Sports Radio 99.9 FM will compete with Cumulus Media’s KTIK 93.1 The Ticket.
99.9 FM will include the Dan Patrick Show mornings from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m., The Herd with Colin Cowherd, The Doug Gottlieb Show, and others throughout the day. Weekends will feature live game coverage. The new station does not currently include any local programming.
With the change, sister station 96.1 Bob FM transitioned to digital radio. Fox Sports will air on 96.1’s secondary channel, as well as the 99.9 frequency.
Disclosure: BoiseDev’s podcast appears on Iliad Media’s Listen Boise app. Also, BoiseDev reporters appear on Boise State Radio.
More media news:
- Boise adds second sports station to the radio airwaves
- Spanish language radio station changes approach to be information hub for Latino community
- Country, news top the charts for spring Boise radio ratings
- Boise State sports announcer joins NBC’s Tokyo Olympics coverage: ‘One of the most unique assignments’
- Note from Don: BoiseDev wins top website honor, other awards from Idaho Press Club
- Boise to Barbacena: Brazilian kids learning English by listening to Idaho show
- Note from Don: BoiseDev adds Gretchen Parsons, promotes Margaret Carmel & Autum Robertson